Test Your Understanding Of American Politics
The Huffington Post, January 20, 2010
Happy new year, I guess....my haiku take on the real lesson of Massachusetts...
Download a .pdf version of this article
- Massachusetts' bipartisan health care reform a few years ago is the model for what Obama and the Democrats have been on the verge of passing in Washington.
- Scott Brown supported the bipartisan Massachusetts health care reform (which has given the state near-universal coverage).
- Scott Brown opposes the Democrats' health care reform in Washington, and told voters he'd be the 41st vote to stop it.
- Massachusetts voters, who overwhelmingly support the Massachusetts health care reform, have sent Scott Brown to Washington to stop Washington from enacting at a national level the popular plan Massachusetts enacted a few years ago.
Which of the following explains Scott Brown's victory over Martha Coakley? (Maybe I'm missing something, but I think these are the only three options):
- Scott Brown is a disingenuous idiot.
- Massachusetts voters are confused idiots.
- I'm an idiot, for expecting logic or reason to play any role in American political life at all.